Admission is by assessment, in January for 11+ and November for all other years for entry the following September. This includes entry into the Senior School by members of the Prep School. Most girls enter the Senior School at 11+, although some places may be available at later stages particularly for 13+ boarders and places for the Sixth Form. Means-tested bursaries, up to full fee awards, are available at 11+ or Sixth Form entry.
An 11+ Taster Morning and Taster Boarding Sleepovers are provided in the Autumn Term prior to entry and are very valuable opportunities for girls to see whether St Catherine’s is the right school for them.
Girls sit 11+ Entrance Examinations in Mathematics, English, Science and Verbal Reasoning, and these are devised by St Catherine’s, based on the Key Stage 2 National Curriculum content. At 13+, tests are taken in Verbal Reasoning, English and Mathematics at the appropriate level.
We welcome a number of new girls - day and boarding - into the Sixth Form each year. Assessment is by examination and interview. At registration girls nominate their likely choice of subjects for Sixth Form study and on the Assessment Day will sit three subject specific tests, each of approximately 30 minutes duration, plus an online general paper lasting 90 minutes which gives an indication of IQ and academic potential. Successful candidates are interviewed in person or by Skype. Girls should have a minimum of six GCSEs at Grade 6 and above, including Maths and English. Grade 7 is preferable in subjects chosen for A Level study.
Admission is by assessment for entry the following September in the preceding November for 4+ and the preceding January for 5+, 7+, 9+ and other occasional places.
At 4+ girls visit the school for a morning in groups no greater than 8. Through play, teacher observation and teacher/pupil interaction, girls’ literacy, numeracy, physical and social skills are assessed.
At all other ages, assessment consists of tests in English and Mathematics, written by members of the Departments, respectively, as well as a Verbal Reasoning paper. Each girl will also have an informal interview where she will talk about herself and her interests.
A confidential report from the girl’s previous Headteacher will always be requested, except at 4+, and used as part of the selection procedure. The report requests information about each girl’s academic performance and potential, any specific learning difficulties, how best to manage any disability, and curricular and extra-curricular interests.
Applicants with a disability will be assessed on their academic performance as outlined above. Parents of applicants with a disability should make this clear on the application form so that the School can make every reasonable effort to adapt its admissions procedures to accommodate the applicant on the Assessment Day. Any parent of an applicant who has a disability is also asked to let the School know so that proper access can be arranged for pre-admission school visits/information mailings, and subsequently for school events, should the applicant be successful in the entrance tests.
- Applicants will be considered as candidates for admission to the school once the Registration Form (online form above) has been completed and returned, along with the non-refundable registration fee, currently £100.(£200.00 for overseas students)
- An Acceptance Deposit of £500 (Day Pupil), £1,000 (Boarder in the UK), a term’s fees (for overseas’ boarders) is payable when parents return the Acceptance Form to the School. It is refunded (less any outstanding charges) when the pupil leaves, or is credited if a full term’s fee in lieu of notice is paid.
- For further details, please contact the relevant Registrar.
- Contact Registrar - book your visit to an Open Morning and to request a School Prospectus or go via the website
- September 2020 - Girls registered for 11+ by mid -September of the year prior to entry are invited to our Saturday Taster Morning . Girls attend four mini-lessons to gain an idea of what it is like to be a ‘St Cat’s’ pupil, and have an opportunity to talk with the current students
- 3rd October 2020 - 11+ Taster Morning for registered girls only
- 6th November 2020 - Deadline for 11+ registration for following September entry
- 5th January 2021 - Examinations for 11+ entry for following September
- By end of January 2021 - Offer letters are sent out; Places for U3/Yr7 must be accepted no later than the first Monday in March 2021
- Over the next few months, important information is sent out including allocation of School House, uniform. Girls will be allocated a L4 shadow from their new House
- 8th September 2021 - New Girls’ Induction Day for 11+ entrants the day before the Autumn Term begins and all boarders arrive during the afternoon
- 9th September 2021 - Start of Autumn Term for everyone
- 18th September 2020 - Deadline for 12+/13+ registration
- 19th October 2020 - Examinations for 12+, 13+
- Early December 2020 - Offer letters are sent out
- 25th September 2020 - Sixth Form Open Evening
- 9th October 2020 – Deadline for Sixth Form registration
- 6th November 2020 - Sixth Form Entrance Examinations
- By the end of the Autumn Term - Offer letters are sent out
Contact Prep School Registrar
Contact Prep School Registrar Sally Manhire (firstname.lastname@example.org) to ask any initial questions you may have about the school
Book to attend an Open Morning via the website Open Event Request Form .
This is a chance to tour the Prep School with our Year 5/6 girls, meet staff and see the school in action. Miss Bartholomew, the Prep School Headmistress, gives a presentation and holds a Question and Answer session alongside her Senior Team. There is also an opportunity to tour facilities across the school site.
Private tours can be arranged on request by contacting Prep School Registrar, Sally Manhire.
- We recommend that registrations for the Prep School (Year 1 – Year 6), for entry the following September, are received by Friday 15th November 2019.
- Registrations for Reception entry (4+) are required by Thursday 17th October 2019.
- Taster Afternoon (Friday 4th October 2019) - for all girls and parents interested in Reception (4+) Entry for the following September.
- Informal 4+ (Reception) assessments (Wednesday 6th November - Thursday 14th November 2019) - for entry the following September.
- Offer letters are sent out by the end of November.
- Thursday 21st November 2019 - Taster Afternoon for all girls (Year 1-Year 6) interested in learning more about the Prep School.
- Tuesday 7th January 2020 - Assessment day for girls aged 5-10 (Year 1 – 6). There are typically four spaces for Year 1, Year 3 and Year 5 entry. In other year groups, ‘occasional’ places come up when girls leave. Current schools contacted ahead of assessments.
- Offer letters are sent out by the end of January
- NEXT STEPS FOLLOWING OFFERS
- Over the next few months, important information is sent out including the uniform list, school Houses.
- Your daughter will be allocated a ‘shadow’ from their class to help them to settle in.
- There are other opportunities to join the school community: The Nativity Play, The May Fair, Open Day in June and the LIII Production.
- New Girls are invited to our ‘Meet Your Friends’ afternoon in early July.
- New Girls can bring their PE kit into school, the day before the First Day of Term.