Buildings & Lettings
The Governors’ Strategic Plan for the School and 20 year development plan for the School site is revisited annually and advice and guidance sought from the School Architects. The balance we strike is always in favour of expenditure on teaching and learning, and having the right academic staff throughout the school. This is what we call our A* priority.
To deliver outstanding lessons, teachers need many resources, including technology, materials and to a lesser extent books etc. The buildings in which they work are important too, and a balance has to be struck to ensure that the facilities are ‘fit for purpose’ and enabling teachers to excel as they eduate all our girls.
Schools aim to make a modest surplus from their income to invest in new buildings and facilities. These pages offer you a quick look at building projects over the past decade and what is on offer for our students.
In particular we highlight here:
- The 125th ANNIVERSARY HALLS – were dedicated by HRH the Duchess of Cornwall in February 2014. The whole school community benefits from this award-winning facility which includes a 300-seat auditorium, boasting some of the best acoustics in the country. An orchestra pit, technical box and recording studio provide St Catherine’s girls with exciting opportunities to enjoy Music and Drama. In addition the Drama Studio is in full dark mode. The Auditorium offers a capacious environment for weekly Senior School assemblies and has proved a perfect venue to host prestigious speakers. Prep School girls also make the best use of the facilities with their drama productions and nativity plays. The Forum Cafe and Bar enable an event to have a wonderful social element.
- The equally impressive sports’ facilities, adjacent, offer a multi-purpose sports’ hall, dance studio, gymnasium, swimming pool, squash court and fully-fitted fitness suite.
- The Sixth Form Library - enables Lower and Upper Sixth Form girls to study quietly and this independent learning leads into the introduction to University.
- The Music Block - home of different sized music rooms, a small recital room and music technology.
St. Catherine’s school is set in an area of outstanding natural beauty, a perfect location for your conference, activity or training day. Good onsite parking is available. We are located just outside Guildford and 35 miles from London.
Other School buildings include:
- The Lecture Theatre - A superb lecture space for smaller presentations and conferences which allows the girls to have a closer interaction with subject leaders.
- The Littlewood Lodge - named by former Prep School girls, this garden building nestles at the edge of the little woods. This building provides Prep girls with an education inside space outside.
- The Prep Music Room - this is no ordinary music room. It is a Soundscape. Allowing Prep girls to explore and discover music.
- The Prep Science Laboratory, our WonderLab - this is a delightful room for young minds to be inquisitive about science.
For residential accommodation please see our boarding pages.
The school site is available for hire throughout the year. We have a wide range of facilities available for hire including:
- Auditorium: capacity of 350 people with sound, lighting and staging. It can be set in full theatre mode – blackout and curtains – or concert or assembly/presentation mode with wooden panels and acoustic treatment for speech or music.
- Lecture Theatre: a contemporary space recently opened after substantial refurbishment - capacity of 90 people with ICT facilities, perfect for small conferences.
- School Hall: with a capacity of 70 people - ideal for any gathering but also for music or choir practices having access to a new three-manual pipe organ as an additional element of the hire charge.
- Drama Studio: A black out contemporary studio.
- Sports Hall and Gymnasium: suitable for afterschool clubs and Sporting Events
- Sports Pitches / Courts: A variety of grass pitches, tennis and netball courts are available.
- Dining Hall: A large dining hall capable of catering for up to 250 people
- Classrooms: Classrooms of various sizes, which can be set out as per your requirements.
Different levels of catering can be arranged via our in-house catering team.
Within our Anniversary Halls facilities we have a lovely café which can be opened to compliment your event/booking should it be deemed appropriate, for more information about the café please click the link below.
We welcome all for a site visit to view our facilities. Please contact Venue Hire & Sports Club Manager, Mr Rob Mitchell 01483 899672 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to view the premises or for details of how to apply.
- Auditorium: from £400 per hour
- Lecture Theatre: from £50 per hour
- School Hall: from £40 per hour
- Drama Studio: from £50 per hour
- Sports Hall and Gymnasium: from £45 per hour
- Sports Pitches / Courts:
Tennis /Netball courts from £15 per hour, Grass pitches: from £100 per 4 hour session
- Dining Hall: from £25 per hour
- Classrooms: from £45 per hour
The following companies have used our facilities in the past:
- Energy Kidz Holiday Clubs are fun, active and affordable. The action packed days are delivered within a stimulating environment created and led by enthusiastic and qualified play workers and sports coaches. Energy Kidz will revolutionise your child’s school holiday, helping to ensure every moment is an enjoyable one.
- Gill and David Johnston have masterminded Musicale Holidays since its beginning in 1977. Their passion is to involve children in meaningful and, above all, enjoyable music making. Many of their staff grew up attending a summer Musicale, and now they are passing on their enthusiasm to the next generation of young musicians.
European Youth Summer Camp
- EYSM's aims are to inspire young people and to create a lifelong love of music and a desire to share music with others. This is achieved by offering a wide range of opportunities across musical genres, where young people work with professional musicians they would not meet in any other way and by creating a series of musical performances.
- Young Film Academy is the UK’s leading provider of filmmaking courses, schools film making programmes, community filmmaking projects, film making outreach events and kids film parties to young people aged 6-19. Summer 2016, we will be holding our first residential film course at St. Catherine’s School, allowing young children to learn and develop skills in the film industry.
- The National Children’s Orchestras of Great Britain provides young people with a world-class foundation for orchestral performance and musicianship. We bring together hundreds of 7-13 year olds from across the country and offer them a life-changing experience – meeting like-minded people and being guided by top professional musicians. As well as creating a safe, stimulating environment in which to explore and enhance their skills and passions, our friendly residential courses also help to broaden the social development of our young musicians.
- Established in 1978, the NCO has gone from strength to strength, building up an international reputation as an outstanding orchestra whose maturity belies the age of its members. The NCO has performed in a wide variety of concert venues, from the Royal Albert Hall in London to the Forbidden City Concert Hall in Beijing, and promises audiences an entertaining and uplifting performance.
- Passionate about music, our musicians aspire to the highest standards. Welcome to the next generation of world-class music professionals.